Main Article Content
Motivation is significant issues affecting human behavior and it is not only affecting other cognitive factor-like perception and learning but also affects the total performance of an individual in an organizational setting. Hence this study was focused on investigating the effect of work motivation on job performance among healthcare providers in University College Hospitals, Ibadan, Oyo state. It is also intended to evaluate employees' level of motivation and their level of job performance. In order to meet this objective, the researcher has used multistage sampling techniques; collected from 120 employees using Likert scale questionnaires. Data were analyzed using descriptive statistics (mean, and standard deviation) and inferential statistics (correlation and regression). The result of the descriptive statistics finding indicated that the employee job performance has been under practiced in university college hospital, Ibadan, Oyo state. The results of inferential statistics have revealed that all motivational factors under study are positively related to employee job performance. According to this finding employee empowerment practices is more significantly associated and have impacts on employee job performance than all motivational factors under study. Hence, managers of University College Hospitals, Ibadan, Oyo state as advised to more empower their employees in the workplace as a motivational tool in order to enhance their job performance.
- 1. Abdulsalam, D., &Mawoli, M. A. (2012). Motivation and Job Performance of Academic Staff Of State Universities in Nigeria: The case of Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University, Lapai, Niger State. International Journal of Business and Management, 7 (14), 142-148. doi:10.5539/ijbm.v7n14p142.
- 2. Adinkrah, J. M. (2014). Health Care Systems in Ghana, Problems and WayForward. Global Journal of Health Science. 6 (6), 7-12.
- 3. Adinkrah, J. M. (2014). Health Care Systems in Ghana, Problems and Way Forward. Global Journal of Health Science. 9 (10), 2-15.
- 4. Aguinis, H. (2012). Performance Management (Second ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Ajalie S.N. (2017). Effect of employee motivation on organizational productivity: a case study of May and Baker Plc, Ota, Ogun State, Nigeria. Department of Business Management College of Development Studies, Covenant university, Ota.
- 5. Akerele, A. (2001). Role of labour in productivity. Nigeria Journal of Industrial Relation, Aluko, N. (November, 2014). 6 Challenges Facing Manufacturing Companies in Nigeria and Ghana. Kpakpakpa.com. Retrieved 13th January, 2017 from http://kpakpakpa.com/spotlight/challenges-facing-manufacturing-in-nigeria-ghana/
- 6. Annie A.B. (2016). Influence of motivation on health worker performance. ; A case study at Korle Bu Teaching Hospital. School of Public Health College of Health Sciences, University of Ghana5, 50-58.
- 7. Baron, H., Henley, S., McGibbon, A. & McCarthy, T. (2012). Motivation Questionnaire Beer, M. & Walton, R. E. (2014). Reward Systems and the Role of Compensation. In J. G. Searle, Manage people, not personal (p. 17). Boston: Harvard Business Review.
- 8. Bhuvanaiah, T. & Raya, R. P. (2015). Mechanism of improved performance: intrinsic motivation and employee engagement. SCMS Journal of Indian Management ,Vol 12, Issue 4, pg. 82-97.
- 9. Bipp, T. &Kleingeld, A. (2011). Goal‐setting in practice: The effects of personality and perceptions of the goal‐setting process on job satisfaction and goal commitment. Personnel Review , Vol. 40, Issue 3, pg. 306-323.
- 10. Buchanan, L. (2012). How to achieve Big, Hairy, Audacious Goals. Retrieved December 21, 2016, from www.inc.com/leigh-buchanan/big-ideas/jim-collins-big-hairy- audacious-goals.html
- 11. Cao, H., Jiang, J., Oh, L.B., Li, H., Liao, X. and Chen, Z. (2013) A Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs Analysis of Social Networking Services Continuance. Journal of Service Management, 24, 170-190. http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/09564231311323953
- 12. Certo, S. C. (2016). Supervision Concepts and Skill-Building. New York, NY: McGraw Journal of Human Resource and Sustainability Studies, 2016, 4, 68-79Published Online June 2016 in SciRes. http://www.scirp.org/journal/jhrsshttp://dx.doi.org/10.4236/jhrss.2016.42008
- 13. Chandrasekar, K. (2011). Workplace environment and its impact on organisational performance in public sector organisations. International Journal of Enterprise Computing and Business Systems, 1(1), 1-16.
- 14. Chapman, A. (2003) Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs. http://www.businessballs.com/maslow.htm
- 15. Chung, K. (2013). Toward a general theory of motivation & performance. California Management Review ,Vol 11, Issue 3, pg. 81-88.
- 16. Cohen, L. Manion, L. & Morrison, K. (2011). Research methods in education. London, UK: Routledge.
- 17. Cohen-Charash, Y.; Spector, P.E. (2001). "The role of justice in organizations: A meta-analysis". Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes . 86 (2): 278–321.
- 18. Cole, G. A. & Kelly, P. (2011). Management Theory and Practice. London, UK: Cengage. Colquitt, J., doi : 10.1177/0149206307309265 .
- 19. Daniel, T. & Metcalf, G. (2009). Employee Recognition: Selling, Implementing and communicating the program. Illinois, CH: American Society for Training and Development HR.
- 20. Denisi, A. & Pritchard, R. (2016). Performance Appraisal, Performance Management and Improving Individual Performance: a Motivational Framework. Management and Organization review , Vol. 2, Issue 2, pg. 253-277. doi : 10.1006/obhd.2001.2958 .
- 21. Dubrin, A. J. (2012). Essentials of Management. Mason, OH: Cengage South-Western.
- 22. Elizabeth W.W. (2017). Effect of motivation on employee performance: a case study of Pam Golding Properties Limited, Nairobi. United States International University-Africa, Nairobiequator bottlers (coca cola) Kenya.
- 23. George, J. M. & Jones, G. R. (2012). Understanding and Managing Organizational Behavior. 6th
- 24. Kreitner, R. & Kinicki, A. (2016). Organizational Behavior. New York; NY: McGraw- Hill.
- 25. Kumari, N. (2014). Using performance appraisal as an effective tool for motivating Employee performance: a live study. Business Perspectives &Research , Vol. 2, Issue 2, pg. 37-46.
- 26. Kurose, C. (2013). Motivation, Behavior and Performance in the workplace. Washington D.C., WA: George Washington University.
- 27. Lambrou P, Kontodimopoulos N, Niakas D. Motivation and job satisfaction among medical and Nursing staff in a Cyprus Public General Hospital. Human Resource Health. 2010;8:26. [DOI]
- 28. Lunenberg, F. C. (2011). Goal-Setting Theory of Motivation. International Journal of Management, Business and Administration , Vol. 15, Issue 1, pg. 203- 211.
- 29. Manual and User's Guide. Sussex, NJ: Saville and Holdsworth Limited.
- 30. Mary E.O. (2016). Factors influencing staff motivation among employees: A case study of Equator Bottlers (Coco Cola) Kenya. Stamford University, Krung ThepMahanakorn, Thailand. Journal of Human Resource and Sustainability Studies, 2016, 4, 68-79 Published Online June 2016 in SciRes. http://www.scirp.org/journal/jhrsshttp://dx.doi.org/10.4236/jhrss.2016.42008
- 31. Maslow,A. H. (1943),"A theory of human motivation" ,Psychological Review,Vol 50p.370
- 32. Mosley, D. C., Pietri, P. H. & Mosley Jnr, D. C. (2012). Supervisory Management: The Art Of Inspiring, Empowering and Developing People. Mason, OH: Thompson South-Western.
- 33. Nelson, Q. (2013). Principles of Organizational Behavior. Boston, MA: Cengage Learning.
- 34. Newstrom, J. W. (2011). Human Behavior at Work. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill. Prentice Hall.
- 35. Purcell, J., Kinnie, N., Hutchinson S., Rayton, B. and Swart, J. (2009) People Management and Performance. Routledge, London and New York.
- 36. Re'em, Y. (2011). Motivating public sector employees. Heritage School of Governance. Working Papers, 60-75.
- 37. Riggio, R. E. (2014). Introduction to Industrial/ Organizational Psychology. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall.
- 38. Selvarajan, T. T. &Cloninger, P. A. (2016). The Influence of Job Performance Outcomes On Ethical Assessments. Personnel Review , Vol. 38, Issue 4, pg. 398- 412.
- 39. Skinner, N. (2010). The role of goal-setting in workplace development. Adelaide, AU: Flinders University.
- 40. Springer, G.J. (2011) A Study of Job Motivation, Motivation, and Performance among Bank Employees. Journal of Global Business Issues, 5, 29-42.
- 41. Stanley, T. L. (2012). Motivation in todays workplace. Human Resource Journal , Vol. 55, Issue 7, pg. 1-9.
- 42. Steers, R. M. & Porter, L. W. (2011). Motivation and work performance. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill.
- 43. Whitley, R. (2002) Competing Capitalisms: institutions and economies. Elgar: Cheltenham,
- 44. World Health Organization, (2009). Systems Thinking for Health Systems Strengthening.: Geneva: World Health Organization.